Rag Quilt – Sewing
Posted December 18, 2014on:
With all the sandwiches done, all that’s left to do is put the quilt together. I have to admit, it was scary.
I was worried that things wouldn’t line up properly. I was worried the squares won’t look like squares once everything was said and done. I was worried that putting it all together was going to much harder than I anticipated. Everything else seemed to go fairly smoothly, I was sure that these final steps were going to be a disaster…
But then again, this was my first time making any sort of quilt. I was going to allow myself imperfections. I was going to consider these all lessons to be learned.
First, the squares have to be arranged in the order they will be sewn together. I had to do this on the floor because I have no table space big enough. Hubby took M out to play in the neighborhood, so I took advantage of the free floor to do it.
You can see I did 5 squares across and 6 squares down. There was no systematic way of arranging them. I just made sure none of the same patterns were directly next to each other, and it was just pleasing to my eye.
Then, I sewed them together, row by row, with a 1in seam allowance to allow for a seam big enough for ragging. I numbered the rows with the left square on the top..
Once the rows were done, it was time to piece them all together. It took a lot of pins and a lot of patience. I definitely feel like a walking foot would help putting this together because there were times that I felt things were shifting because of the way they were feeding through the machine. Still, I made it work with what I had..
I flattened the seams when I was sewing the rows together. I’ve seen other videos where they nest the seams. I’m assuming it’s just whatever your preference is. The edges are going to get cut up in the ragging process anyway, the way the seams were sewn together probably doesn’t matter all that much in the end.
After all the rows had been sewn together, I took the quilt and topstitched a 1in seam aorund the entire quilt’s edge. That was the end of all the sewing!
Here’s a view of the back and the front of the quilt before I started cutting up the edges.
It was a lot easier than I thought it would be…
(Don’t forget to click these badges to rate my blog and vote for me. All you need to do is click!)