Living life in the carpool lane..

Archive for November 23rd, 2014

I think it started around Easter of this year.

She was given a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg from Gymboree during their Easter Egg Hunt.  We were in the car when she broke the wrapper open and, before I knew it, she ate almost the whole thing.

Almost immediately, she stuck her fingers in her mouth and whined a little like something was bothering her.  Thinking it was just the grittiness of the peanut butter, I gave her water and some milk.  She stopped complaining.

We had family over for a visit to our apartment.  M ate some dinner, but she just wasn’t her peppy self.  She was a little uneasy and a little clingy.  I thought it was because she didn’t normally see these family members.  Then, while she was sitting on my lap, she just vomitted.  Projectile vomit.  Everything in her stomach just out on the floor and the recliner.  Immediately after that, she was fine.

I started to suspect a peanut allergy, so I made it a point to make sure she avoided peanuts in her foods.

Fast forward to September.  Hubby purchased peanut butter m&ms, but kept them upstairs in his office.

M went upstairs before bed and went into Hubby’s office.  Because they were m&ms, she thought they were ok and ate one.  Almost immediately after eating it, she stuck her fingers in her mouth and whined like something was bothering her inside her mouth, similar to what she did at Easter.  I gave her lots of water and we prepared ourselves for her to throw up again.

She was fine for about half an hour, when she started to act a little different again.  We were prepared for the vomit, but it didn’t come.  Because she was acting a bit off, I gave her a dose of Benadryl.  Before the Benadryl kicked in, I noticed her smacking her lips and mouth together.  I asked her if anything felt itchy and she said her mouth was itchy.

We stayed up until the Benadryl kicked in and she no longer smacked her lips together and was no longer complaining about anything feeling itchy.

A few weeks later, I talked to her pediatrician about it.  They scheduled a skin test and a consultation with the allergy doctor.

At the skin test, the peanut allergy did NOT show up.  However, the allergy doctor said that because of her reaction during the two times she ingested peanut butter, he wanted to do a blood test to confirm.

Blood test confirmed that she DOES have a peanut allergy.  Category III, he called it.  I think it had to do with the level of IgM detected.  It’s pretty much the middle of the peanut allergy spectrum, which also meant that she has a very little chance of outgrowing it in the future.

We were issued epipens.  I take the epipen and a bottle of Benadryl wherever we go now.

In a future blog post, I’ll talk about how our lives have slightly adjusted since her diagnosis..

(Don’t forget to click these badges to rate my blog and vote for me. All you need to do is click!)

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Stats

  • 26,169 hits
November 2014