Living life in the carpool lane..

In the seventeen months of M’s life, she’s been a good sleeper.  I’m treading lightly on my words so I don’t jinx myself from here on out.

Even as a newborn, she slept in 3 hour chunks.  She’d sleep for three hours, wake up to eat and get her diaper changed, then she’s sleep again.  Even when she was starting to wake up more, she always slept at night and stayed awake during the day.  By the time I got back to work, when she was 5 months old, she was only waking up once, and that was after a good 4-5 hours of sleep.

Thank God for that!

However, there are those rare moments when she’d get a night terror, or a bad dream, or be under the weather and just wake up in the middle of the night. 

Tuesday night was one of those nights.

She started the night with runny nose.  I knew this would only lead to a cold.  I’m praying so hard that it won’t end up in an ear infection!!!

We went to bed like any other night, but I knew deep down that this won’t be like any other night.  Call it “mothers intuition..”

At one o’clock, I can already feel M tossing and turning.. then the whining started..

Then, she woke up and tried to climb on me..

I thought she was hot because when the vaporizer is on, the room warms up.. so I take off her long sleeved top..

That didn’t work.

She started crying and asking to “go.” 

She just kept saying “go, go..” like she wanted to go somewhere.. then she asked for Dora, but I told her Dora was sleeping. 

That’s when it hit the fan..

She cried and cried. 

I had to take her out of the bedroom and calm her down on our recliner. 

She fell asleep on the recliner, but woke up again crying.. so I calmed her down and took her to the bed where she fell asleep again..

This went on several times within in the hour.

I finally laid her on top of me, which is hard because she’s 23lbs and that’s a weight on my chest..

Laying her on top of me calmed her down considerably.  She fell asleep and eventually moved herself off my chest and right into my arms.  She stayed there until I woke up to get ready for work.

Did I mention that I ended up oversleeping?!

I drank about three cups of coffee the next day..

I’m really hoping that she just had a bad dream, and that the runny nose didn’t have anything to do with it.

How do you handle those no-sleep kind of nights?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Stats

  • 26,278 hits
February 2013
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: